10 December 2012

Mosiah 10: 22 years of peace

After the bloodshed in the last chapter, Zeniff wises up and prepares for the next onslaught of Lamanites.  He tells his people to make every kind of weapon, and he posts guards around the land.
10:1 And it came to pass that we again began to establish the kingdom and we again began to possess the land in peace. And I caused that there should be weapons of war made of every kind, that thereby I might have weapons for my people against the time the Lamanites should come up again to war against my people. 
10:2 And I set guards round about the land, that the Lamanites might not come upon us again unawares and destroy us; and thus I did guard my people and my flocks, and keep them from falling into the hands of our enemies.
Its seemed to work pretty well, too.  They had 22 years of continual peace, which is pretty good for the Book of Mormon.
10:3 And it came to pass that we did inherit the land of our fathers for many years, yea, for the space of twenty and two years.
But when King Laman died, his son began to reign, and he lost no time getting ready for battle.
10:6 And it came to pass that king Laman died, and his son began to reign in his stead. And he began to stir his people up in rebellion against my people; therefore they began to prepare for war, and to come up to battle against my people.
Then Zeniff saw a host of Lamanites on a hill overlooking his land (Lamanites are easy to identify, since they shave their heads and walk around in leather underwear).   Zeniff hid all of the women and children in the woods and armed the men and boys for battle.
10:8 And it came to pass that they came up upon the north of the land of Shilom, with their numerous hosts, men armed with bows, and with arrows, and with swords, and with cimeters, and with stones, and with slings; and they had their heads shaved that they were naked; and they were girded with a leathern girdle about their loins.   
10:9 And it came to pass that I caused that the women and children of my people should be hid in the wilderness; and I also caused that all my old men that could bear arms, and also all my young men that were able to bear arms, should gather themselves together to go to battle against the Lamanites; and I did place them in their ranks, every man according to his age.
Before the battle, Zeniff rouses his troops with a speech about the Lamanites, and why they hate the Nephites so much.  Apparently the Lamanites were wroth with the the Nephites from the beginning, and are still wroth with them today (who would have guessed?).  They still teach their children to hate the Nephites with an "eternal hatred".  So it's best to kill them when you get the chance.  It makes you wonder why Zeniff wanted to defend them so badly last chapter... 
10:12 They were a wild, and ferocious, and a blood-thirsty people, believing in the tradition of their fathers, which is this -- Believing that they were driven out of the land of Jerusalem because of the iniquities of their fathers, and that they were wronged in the wilderness by their brethren, and they were also wronged while crossing the sea;
10:17 And thus they have taught their children that they should hate them, and that they should murder them, and that they should rob and plunder them, and do all they could to destroy them; therefore they have an eternal hatred towards the children of Nephi.

Of course the good guys win the battle, but Zeniff doesn't provide any details.  Instead, he passes the kingdom to his son, Noah.  Then he signs off.
10:20 And it came to pass that we did drive them again out of our land; and we slew them with a great slaughter, even so many that we did not number them.
10:22 And now I, being old, did confer the kingdom upon one of my sons; therefore, I say no more. And may the Lord bless my people. Amen.


The next chapter introduces King Noah, who is a fun character.  He is the preferred villain in the Book of Mormon, so we'll have some fun with him.

1 comment:

Ben Arkell said...

I often wonder what our "king" would appear like if described by a prophet. Noah taxed 1/5, Obama taxes 1/2!

www.bensopinion.com